Thursday, August 4, 2011


Since 2007, my Halloween display theme is a graveyard. It includes a few tombstone, blue lighting for simulate moonlight, a few fog machines, a full-size toe pincher coffin and a zombie. It is nice, but it feels a bit empty. To correct this situation I have planned to create many things on a two year period starting with this year. One of those prop is a ground-breaker.

At the origin, this ground-breaker was supposed to become a scarecrow, like the one explained in the book "How to haunt your house", for the haunted trail of the Camping Luciole on July 16th. But as the project started, I felt this wasn't what I really wanted to achieve. Besides, following the find or a great mask on the Internet, I decided after starting the prop that the character I would incarnate in the haunted trail would be a scarecrow. As there was no more need for a static scarecrow in the haunt, I choose to convert was I had done so far to a ground-breaker.

I made him out of an old dusty Styrofoam skull and paper mache. I then sealed him with two coats of Spar urethane and painted him with one coat of exterior black paint and a mix of brown, red and white paint.

This prop is nothing exceptional compared of what other talented haunters have done. But I gained something out of it. I finally found a good way to build realistic looking hands out of paper mache. Looks like I am going to rebuild the bad looking hands of my stirring witch soon.


Anonymous said...

Fabulous!! I love the way his hands are positioned, and the look on his face - SO much character!!

Mr. Macabre said...

The red lighting on him looks absolutely sinister! He looks great!

Pam Morris said...

I think he looks great! (and really nice work with the hands!)

Chris 'Frog Queen' Davis said...

He does look fantastic! Love the hands and the expression on his face! You done good!


Justine’s Halloween said...

Awesome skeleton creature! The red light is a nice touch too. If you're not already on Halloween Forum, I think you would enjoy it there! There are so many talented prop makers on that site.

Vanessa Morgan said...

Loooooove it! Amazing!

wicKED said...

He looks wicKED! Is the base PVC? I am making some groud breakers and running into issues with the arms and hands.

PumpkinBrain said...

Thanks to you all!

Justine, I'm not a member of Halloween forum yet. I will need to check for that in a near future.

Ked, I used PVC for the spinal chord (which I bended for a more realistic look), the upper arms and the neck. The rib cage and the clavicles were made of tightly rolled newspaper soaked in mache glue. For the hands, I used cardboard as a base on which I glued cutted wood dowels to form the bones of the fingers. Each forearms were made by gluing together two wood dowels with a small wood spacer. I used a combination of screws and duct tape for securing the arms to the body. Then I put everything under a couple of layers of mache strips and paper towel mache.

Hauntcast - Radio for Haunters