Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The rebirth of a Wal-Mart tombstone

There seem to be a consensus among haunters that the tombstones sold in stores (Wal-Mart and the likes) are cheesy and maybe not worth our money. Frankly, I like them though their paint is cheap, their 1" thickness is just ridiculous and we don't even talk about their anchor system that is just plain useless. My yard display contains 11 tombstones bought at Wal-Mart in 2007 and 2008. I got some problems due to mother nature last year that forced me to enhance them by making them 3" thick and by replacing the cheapest anchor system ever invented on earth for something "wind proof". That said, half of my tombstones are already enhanced and are now on painting stage. Here is the result for the first painted tombstone. It is not perfect but it is much more better than what is was looking like when I bought it.

7 comments:

halloween spirit said...

Nice work :)

The Frog Queen said...

Very nicely done!!

Cheers!

macabregirl said...

Nice work! What did you use to anchor the tombstones? I'm always looking for better ways to wind-proof my tombstones.

macabregirl said...

Nice work. What did you use to anchor your tombstones?

Creepy Glowbugg said...

Fabulous job! Any pointers or tips for a creepy chick with at least 10 of those cheesy tombstones to make purty?
Looks like you went over the original design to make it more depressed and then what did you do to make them so thick, just add more Styrofoam to the back of it before the final paint job?

PumpkinBrain said...

Thanks all! I plan to write a post that explains, in details, what I did to transform those cheesy tombstones in something acceptable for a haunter display. If I'm lucky enough, I might be able to post it by the end of this week. And Macabregirl, I will also answer your question on the anchor I used in that post too (Sorry for keeping you waiting).

Therese said...

I have found the same issue with store bought tombstones. We have both home made and commercial ones in our Haunt, I have roughed up, repainted and added Spanish moss to all of the store bought ones. They look much better.


Hauntcast - Radio for Haunters

Awards