Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The stirring witch in action

I didn't have the chance this year to take a lot of pictures of my Halloween setup as I planned to take those at night when the lighting would be on. Unfortunately, because of bad weather, I had to put back all my props in the garage before having the chance to take pictures. Fortunately, I had the good idea of filming my stirring witch in the daylight. Here it is:





It's a shame I didn't had the opportunity to film her at night. She would have look better with the interior of the cauldron lighted and her green glowing eyes. Well, life is life, I will probably have that chance next year :-)



Have a nice evening!



Thursday, November 12, 2009

R.I.P

Once again, I feel bad... How on earth could I leave behind my wonderful fellow bloggers for more than one month! I have, again, been very busy since october 7th. Unfortunately, my absence had nothing to do with prop building but much more about work. Some of you already know that I started a new job october 5th. The new job is wonderful. All the people working there are friendly, my superiors are very open and fun to talk to, the job is challenging and the best part of it is that I do not have to do overtime each week to deliver the new features of the software on time. You are probably asking yourself on what I have been working on in the last month. Before leaving my previous job, I offered my previous employers to finish some projects for them until they find someone to replace me. So I did some programming most of my weekday and weekend evenings leaving me no time for blogging and leisure time. Now that that these projects are theorically completed, I can at last take some time for blogging...

What would be the best way to come back to the blogging world? Maybe by telling your of my last Halloween. Here we go:

The day started at 8AM. I woke up feeling like I caught a cold. That was not that bad, there was no ways a small cold would prevent me to celebrate Halloween! My parents, my in-laws and I moved all the props from the 2nd floor of the garage to the front of my house. The installation took about 3 hours. Once the installation completed, I had some time ahead before the Trick'r treater come to my door, so I took a little nap while my wife and my little boy were doing their Trick'r treating round.

1PM, the Trick'r treaters started to knock at the door. It was time for my wife and I to put our costumes on to give candies. For the first time, meet the mastermind behind this blog and his wonderful wife:







We had a good number of trick'r treater, I think the exact number was 186. The new stirring witch was a hit, most parents and teen had good comments on our setup. Some parents took pictures of their children in the setup and some even took pictures of my wife and I. Everything were going fine until 3PM. The day was a little bit windy but at 3PM, the wind started to blow stronger. Sometimes, the wind were blowing so strong that my stirring witch and/or my pumpkin scarecrow had some issues. The witch had loose her head in her cauldron, or her head would do a 180 degree rotation. The scarecrow finished in two separated pieces a few times. Fortunately, it was easy to fix and the celebration continued until 5PM.

At 5PM, the wind started to blow even stronger and it started to rain a bit. The wind was strong enough to cause other damages to my stirring witch so I decide it was time to put her back in the garage, it was a shame, but I was not interested to let the wind destroy my hard work. I took my drill, started to unscrew the witch from the cauldron so I can move her more easily. Then came the disaster. As soon as I removed the last screw, the wind started to blow even stronger and it started to rain like hell. In a few seconds, I saw the witch and the scarecrow collapse in pieces while some of my tombstones where blown away. No need to say I tried to salvage what I could, so in about 10 minutes, all my props were all in safety in the garage. Then I started to look at the damages:

- On 11 tombstones, 1 was missing and 3 were broken in two.
- Some fingers of the witch were broken. Hopefully, the head was fine and the pipe frame could be repaired.
- The scarecrow frame was alright, no real damage to that prop only a few adjustments to do.
- The zombie and the coffin were fine, no damage on them.

Looking back at this, this is not that bad. But that night, my Halloween was totally trashed. Here are some pictures of the damages:











I should be able to repair them with a bit of creativity... In one way, with a bit of paint, these damages can be used to give a worn look to the tombstones.

That summarize my Halloween day. I hope yours started well and finished well too. Wow, this is the longest post I ever wrote... I wonder how much of you have read it entirely ;-)

Have a nice evening!

Hauntcast - Radio for Haunters

Awards